Tuesday, April 12, 2011

turmeric detox tonic


How can you help the body detox from BPA? Turmeric helps rejuvenate the liver cells and recharge their capability to break down toxins. Other than being excellent for liver detox, turmeric has powerful antioxidative and anti-estrogenic abilities that can help combat the excess estrogenic activity from BPA and fight cancer. Here's my recipe for a refreshing and delicious tumeric detox tonic that you can make in minutes.


Ingredients:

2" piece of fresh turmeric root
juice of one lemon
1-2 tbsp local raw unfiltered honey or natural sweetener of your choice
pure filtered water


Peel the turmeric root with a vegetable peeler

Add raw honey or other natural sweetener such as agave or maple syrup to taste.


Juice one lemon. Add pure, filtered water. I don't usually measure the water, I add just about this much.


Add to Vitamix blender and blend for 2-3 minutes to pulverize the turmeric root completely. Chill and serve. 

Now, I realize that I have a huge photo of a plastic Vitamix container in this recipe and this is one of the things I am struggling with so far in this journey. My Vitamix is an important tool in my kitchen. I make green smoothies, nut butters, nut milks and many other things in it daily. It was a big investment for our family, and sadly I don't know of any other stainless or glass options for a blender that can pulverize things like whole turmeric root. I've heard that you can sometimes find vintage stainless steel Vitamix blenders on ebay. Making a huge change like this is definitely a gradual process - I'm sure eventually I will find a non-plastic option.

If anyone is interested, I also have an alternate recipe for this that uses a Champion juicer. Since the Champion parts are also plastic I prefer the Vitamix method - it's so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment