Monday, April 11, 2011

Why Plastic Sans?

This post begins my record of an experiment to eliminate most plastics from my family's food supply and direct skin contact. Why? Well, if you haven't read the Silent Spring Institute's new findings from their Food Packaging and Bisphenol A and Bis(2-Ethylhexyl) Phthalate Exposure: Findings from a Dietary Intervention, you may want to check it out. The results are striking. Over the course of 3 days, the families in their study were able to reduce their BPA and Phthalate levels by 65% just by switching to a fresh foods diet that avoids canned food and plastic food packaging.

Now, I've always been skeptical of plastic. I do believe that among many other toxic chemicals, the prevalence of plastics are a huge reason for a steady and significant rise in cancer rates. But previously, I had always thought that attempting to control the amount of plastics in my kitchen and environment was futile. I mean, how much impact could I possibly make by reducing a material that has become so ubiquitous in the course of daily life? Well, quite a bit it seems. Ever since reading the study I've felt I have no other choice but to start the gradual process of eliminating the plastics from our household.

I don't expect to have 100% success by any means. I'm sure some days will be more plastic-free than others. I feel that the important thing is to consider the role of plastics in my food and environment daily and make changes when I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment