Monday, April 18, 2011

going non-plastic on a budget

This basket of items cost under $6. I would estimate that so far I've invested about $65 on my all-glass conversion. 






































I often hear from people that they couldn't possibly switch to a non-plastic kitchen – it would just be too expensive. True, replacing a whole kitchen's worth of plastic containers can quickly break the bank. Even shopping at discount shops like TJmaxx and Ross, you will pay anywhere from $5-25 per glass container. Anchor Hawking makes some great all-glass containers but their sizes are pretty limited. I have a solution for those of you who aren't opposed to buying used items. Your local thrift stores have all you need to make a complete all-glass conversion on a budget.

Now, I need to warn you that when you make the switch you will actually need many more storage containers than you use now.  Think of all those handy little ziploc baggies you currently use to stash odds and ends in the fridge. A half-lemon here, a couple crackers to take to work. Also, it wouldn't be fair not to mention that this also means more dishes on a daily basis.

Most new glass containers come with plastic lids. Mystery plastic. This is another reason why it's better to shop for glass storage at a thrift store. One thing that most thrift stores have in abundance is random unmatched glass lids and containers. What I do is buy any lids or bottoms I can find that look close to the right size for what I need. I find that although they usually don't make a perfect seal, they still work great.

So, why do I use all glass? I mean, a plastic lid that doesn't touch your food can't be that bad, right? Well, I guess I just want to be safe. There's so much we don't know about plastic - but we do know that it off-gasses and having my food in a small enclosed area with these chemicals just doesn't sit right with me. Plus, I figure if I'm going to all the trouble to do this, I may as well do it all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment